Thursday, March 6, 2014

New school and decimal operations

I started my teaching blog with grand hopes and dreams.  Then, like everything else, it got prioritized... to the bottom of the pile.

Now I am in a new school, a new district, and a new grade!  I switched districts to be closer to home.  The transition was hard and scarey.  Nobody wants to give up their seniority and go to the bottom of the list but I also had to do what was best for my family.

In my former school I had incredible friends and mentors.  Not a day goes by where I don't miss seeing them.  However, the staff in my new school has been nothing but welcoming and kind.  I am really enjoying getting to know them.

What I love even more is teaching 5th grade!  This group is so fun!!!

We are finishing up our decimal unit now.  I had to reteach myself math the "new way."  I have learned a lot right along with my students.  I am enjoying working through strategies with the kids and watching them grow as thinkers!  

Recently I made some posters to hang on the wall in our room to remind the kids of what we do with the decimals depending on the operation.  There are so many little things for the kids to remember.  We have fun with it in class but we are asking them to keep so much up there in their brains.  I feel like I have an anchor chart for everything and my room is over crowded with anchor charts.  I don't even know what to do with all of that information anymore.  We move one chart just to write on the whiteboard and then the chart goes back up.  Does anyone else have this issue?  Have you found a solution?!  I thought I would make some 8.5x11 posters to put up in the back of the room.  They won't be huge and the kids won't see them from their seats easily but they can go back and look at them for more help.  When I introduced them I put them up on the projector so they could see it large and we discussed it.  When they are working on a concept I project it for them on the screen and they have the one they need.  At the end of the lesson they do still have one to fall back on in the room.

I started my own little TPT store.  I would love to just sell enough to support my spending habit on TPT! If you are interested in these posters click here.  I have a few other things there right now, including a free setting project.

Thanks for visiting!


No comments:

Post a Comment