Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Teaching Internet Searches and Internet Scavenger Hunt

We have a beautiful computer lab.  Seriously.  We have an even more wonderful tech integrator.  Seriously. 

We got all new computers last year.  Probably funded by a grant but man they are cool!  Then a couple of years ago we got a Technology Integrator.  She pretty much rocks my world.  She is so helpful and always jumps in.  I told her I wanted to teach my third graders how to do basic Internet searches.  So guess what?  She taught them for me.  She is so great with them.  She also put links on their third grade website so they can easily access the search engines.  Watchng her teach them I was so thankful she offered.  She knows way more about this stuff then I do.  The kids would have looked at me like I had 4 heads.  I consider myself fairly tech savvy.  However, being tech savvy does not mean I have ANY ability to teach kids that stuff.  I can teach my classroom subjects no issue but bringing tech to their level... whoa! 

Anyway, she rocked it and showed them how to do it. 
The sites she taught them were:
http://www.factmonster.com/
http://allsafesites.com/
http://quinturakids.com/



So, today in computer lab I gave them an Internet Scavenger Hunt.  It is going to take a couple of computer lab periods to complete it.  The kids were SO IMPRESSED with what they could find on the Internet.  It was awesome.  They told me they were excited to go back next week and see what else they can learn.  They strictly used Fact Monster to do their searches.  I have the document here in pdf because Google Docs won't let me upload it with my fonts and stuff as Word.  If you are interested in using hunt you can find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment